Wednesday, April 11, 2012

IN HELL THERE IS NO LAW

HELLSHIRE III IN COLOR
HELLSHIREIIICOLOR2
I STARTED DOING THIS PAINT JOB THREE TIMES. THE FIRST TWO WEREN'T CLICKING. I STARTED THINKING ABOUT RICHARD CORBEN'S PAINTING STYLE & WENT & GOT THE FIRST 20 ISSUES OF HEAVY METAL TO LOOK THROUGH. I LEARNED THE HEAVY METAL COLOR TECHNIQUE WHICH INVOLVES USING DUOCHROMATIC SCHEMES FOR DIFFERENT ELEMENTS OF THE PICTURE, BUT THE TWO COLORS USED MUST BE NEXT TO EACH OTHER ON THE COLOR WHEEL. LIKE RED & ORANGE. OR GREEN & BLUE. OR PURPLE & BLUE. THEN YOU USE THESE TO DRAW THE VIEWER INTO DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE PIECE. CORBEN I THINK PAINTED ALOT OF HIS PIECES IN CMYK, MAYBE EVEN PAINTING THE DIFFERENT LAYERS SEPARATELY, BUT I'M NOT TOTALLY SURE ABOUT THAT. HE USES A LOT OF PROCESS BLUE THOUGH! HOLY MOLY!
I'M WORKING ON A COUPLE OF POSTERS FOR THE GO! GO!
POSTER FOR THE GO! GO!

4 comments:

Marcel Ruijters said...

Hmmm... Corben.... Hey, looking good, Sean! If you want to know more about Corben's technique, here is a link: http://www.muuta.net/Articles/FtPcolor.html

Say, you said that you had to start over two times. How can you do that with water colours? (At least I think you said that it is your favorite method and it's what this looks to me)

crippaXXXalmqvist said...

wow!, that B/W drawing was really nice, but this coloured one rawks!

Robert Adam Gilmour said...

I've always thought your work gets on really well with sections separated by colors. Good stuff.

SEAN said...

Marcel, I printed out a few copies of the line-work in black & white & then started painting them & then didn't like them. Thanks for the Corben link!