Saturday, April 28, 2012

Jack Kirby and us parasitic artists


 A petition for Kirby family HERE , images above from Kirby's God series of images.

 I rarely keep up with comics news so this is old but still important. I can easily end up wasting a lot of time reading comics news, in hoping I'll find some great new artists; I think Tom Spurgeon's Comics Reporter is the best. I at least did find out about Araki's new Rohan book, but aside from that I was most interested in the boycotts on DC & Marvel and the fans financing books by certain creators.

 If you follow Comics Reporter or even if you dont, you may have seen THIS article about there being a widespread disdain for artists with a lot of assumptions about their income. I recall my parents often thinking whenever I started communicating with other artists that they might pull me up into a land of wealth, not realising that even well known artists are less safe than a lot of blue collar workers. So many well known actors who dont get on magazine covers and adverts are just scraping by like the rest of us. One of the things that annoys me most is the assumption that all rock bands must be rolling in money.

 Also good is THIS piece on skilled illustrators being very rare (if the piece is accurate, it really surprises me how rare we apparently are) and being treated like beggers grateful to be working on anything.

No comments: